Katalon Studio Supported Environment on macOS
Due to the differences in computer environments, the Katalon download package does not include some dependencies needed to test on mobile devices/emulators.
Some emulators have already supported Appium through their installations. Thus, if you want to run an application on an emulator, check you emulator's settings before proceeding with Appium installation.
If you want to test an Android application on your local device. You will need to install Appium.
Additionally, if you want to test iOS applications, you will need to download the packages below (which have been linked to their respective setting up instructions):
The Katalon Team suggests using homebrew to install these dependencies.
Setting Up Your Devices
- Turn on the phone’s developer mode (go to Settings > Developer options).
- Connect your Android Phone to your computer via a USB cable. Just confirm if prompted to accept/trust the device.
- Install Android SDK: Katalon Studio will detect and ask you to install Android SDK automatically if your current machine doesn't have it. Please allow Katalon Studio to install it in this case.
- Connect your iOS Devices to your computer via a USB cable. Just confirm if prompted to accept/trust the phone.
- If you want to execute your tests using Safari on iOS (mobile browser), make sure Web Inspector is turned on for Safari (Settings → Safari → Advanced → Web Inspector)
- Enable the service UI automation on the device.
- Connect the iOS device to Xcode.
- Settings on the iOS device > Developer > turn ON UIAutomation
- To test an iOS native application file (.ipa file), follow these steps to check if an application file is already built and signed correctly:
- Open Xcode and navigate to Window/Devices
- Choose your device from the Devices list
- Press the “+” button and choose you application file
- If installed successfully, the application will appear in the Installed Apps section as shown below.
Verifiying the Setups
After completing setting your environment, open a Mobile Testing Sample Project (which is packaged in your Katalon Studio installation) and execute a test suite using an Android device:
Select your device from the Android Devices list. Click OK.
If your test suite runs successfully, you will see the results in the test reports as follow:
For more information on how to run a test suite, check out the documentation here.
Once setting up successfully, follow the following guides to perform mobile testing in Katalon Studio
Troubleshooting Common Issues
Please refer to this troubleshooting tutorial