KatalonStudio supports Keywords-Driven testing where test cases consist of keywords that represent actions of users on the applications under test.
Given a sample test case with the steps as below:
- Open the browser
- Navigate to a website
- Click on certain control
- Validate if a control exists on the page
- Close the browser
Follow these steps to automate the above test scenario in Manual view:
- Select File > New > Test Case from the main menu. The New Test Case dialog will be displayed. Provide the name for the new test case, then click OK button.
Once a new test case is created, it is opened in Manual view. This view allows users to create automation tests easily with little programming skills required.
Select Add > Web UI Keyword from the command toolbar.
Recent keywords allow users quickly add any of the last 10 recent used keywords in Item list.
Select the Open Browser keyword. This keyword will open a browser and navigate to the specified URL if provided. (selected keywords will have their description displayed along for reference)
- Add the Navigate To Url keyword. This keyword will navigate to a specified URL. Double click on the Input cell to provide additional data (parameters) for the keyword.
The Input dialog is displayed.
Field Description No The number of parameter for the selected keyword. Param Name The name of the parameter. Param Type The required data type for the parameter. Value Type The type of your input value (e.g. strings, variables, data sources...) Value
The input value for this parameter.
Input value can be varied based on Value Type. Refer to Value Types in Katalon for more details.
For now, enter the URL of Katalon demo AUT (http://demoaut.katalon.com) into the Value column then click OK.
- Add the Click keyword. This keyword represents the click action on a given object. Double click on the Object cell to provide the object for the keyword.
- All captured objects in Object Repository are displayed in the Test Object Input dialog (Refer to Spy Object for details regarding how to capture objects). Select your object then click OK.
- Add the Verify Element Present keyword. This keyword validates if a certain object is displayed on the executing browser. Similar to the previous step, you need to specify the object to be used with this keyword.
- Add the Close Browser keyword and save your test case.
- Click on Run in the main toolbar to execute the test case.
Katalon Studio should be able to execute all the steps of the sample test case.
Recent keywords allow users quickly add any of the last 10 recent used keywords in Item list. For example, let's take test case above. To add another Verify Element Present after Step 4, recent keywords feature wouldaccomplished this in seconds.
Highlight Step 4. Click on Recent Keywords and select Verify Element Present. An extra step is added after Step 4 as illustrated below:
Recent Objects and Object Folders
KatalonStudio allows users to quickly select recently used Object or jump directly to recent used Object Folder in Object Repository.
Recent list will have two sections: Object Folder and Test Object
- Test Object: Display the names of the last 5 selected objects
- Object Folder: Display the names of 5 folders that contain anyrecent used objects