Introduction to Runtime Engine
Katalon Runtime Engine (KRE) is the test execution add-on of Katalon Studio. KRE allows you to execute automation tests in CLI mode. It can be used in a variety of scenarios, such as scheduling your tests, integrating with CI/CD system, or bundling your tests to execute in virtual containers like Docker.
KRE is only required for executing automation tests in CLI (command-line interface) mode. Here are the common scenarios for using KRE:
- Scheduling your tests using Operating System services. Learn more.
- Creating batch operations for control multiple executions.
- For example, setting up to autorun test suite B after running test suite A.
- Integrating your tests to your CI/CD system.
- For example, setting up your tests to be trigger by Jenkins once the application under test (AUT) is updated.
- Execute your tests with distributed servers.
- For example, setting up your tests to run with different Operating System, Browsers or Devices at the same time.
- Bundle your test execution into virtual containers.
- For example, building a Docker image to execute your test with a specific environment.
- KRE is compatible with both Katalon Studio and Katalon Studio Enterprise.
This license model is applied to local desktops or workstations with fixed hardware specifications (machine-blocked license):
- Virtual machine with fixed machine ID
- Physical machine
The number of licenses to acquire should be based on the number of execution machines.
- A license is linked to a single machine ID and for one execution session.
- A machine can be mapped to multiple licenses (if needed).
- The license can be transferred to a new machine for an online environment. For the offline environment, once converted, the license cannot be transferred to another machine until it is expired.
- One license is assigned to one execution session.
- Each floating license can be shared across multiple accounts — maximum of 3 accounts at a time.
Only online activation is allowed.
Please refer to this document for more details about downloading, activating and installing RE.