Record Web Utility
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Record a New Test Case
- Without opening any test case, click on Web Record icon to open Web Recorder
Katalon Studio default browser is Chrome, whose icon is displayed in the top right corner, but you can change this default browser in Preferences → Katalon → Recorder → Default browser. You can also click on the drop-down button to select the browser you want to use:
Type Description Note New Browsers Start a new browser Supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer (only on Windows)
Active Browsers Use the current browser (only Chrome) Katalon Studio will install Katalon Recorder as an add-on to help with recording for this type of browser
- Firefox (coming soon)
In this example, just select either Chrome or Firefox from ‘New Browser’ type to start recording.
- The browser will highlight and display its correspondent Xpath when you hover the mouse on that element.
- Recorded steps will be generated in Recorded Actions.
- When you type in a Password field, Web Recorder will automatically use ‘Set Encrypted Text’ keyword and input’s value will be encrypted to increase security.
Record Using Existing Test Case
With the new Web Recorder, instead of having to create a brand new test case whenever there are changes to the UI, the users can be more productive and efficient in modifying existing test cases, minimizing the risks of overlooking how new changes might affect existing features.
- Open any existing Test Case you want to continue recording on.
- Click on Record icon to open Web Recorder.
- All the existing test steps will be imported as Recorded Actions and current Test Case’s variables will be imported into the Variables tab in Web Recorder. You won’t have record the same test flow again.
Modify Recorded Actions
Unlike previous Web Recorder’s version , the list of available actions is the same with Katalon Studio built-in keywords, so you can add whatever actions you want depending on your need. You can call another test case and use Custom Keyword as well.
Modify Recorded Objects
After you finish your recording, Web Recorder will export a list of test objects used in the test case. For more information on WebUI test objects, go here.
When you are satisfied that your test case has been created correctly, click on OK to add the recorded steps to the test case. Choose the directory that you want your test objects to reside to continue. Here, Katalon Studio automatically detect similar existing objects in the Objects Reporsitory and ask you for further action. This will help the users optimize object repositories.
In the new Web Recorder interface, you can directly manage the variables directly related to your recording.
Two new things have been introduced:
- Logs: a real-time execution raw logs when you execute test steps.
- Run (with three types of run)
- Run all steps
- Run selected steps
- Run from selected step
Execution comes with seeing execution logs, and in many cases you don’t want to execute all steps, just only some of them. So that’s why we have this new feature for Web Recorder.
|Type of Run||Description|
|Run all steps||Execute ALL steps that are enabled on Web Recorder.|
|Run selected steps|
Execute only one or many selected steps.
|Run from selected step|
Execute the current selected step and all steps after selected one, e.g run step #4 and all steps after it.
Upon selecting any types of Run to execute, there will be execution logs displayed on Logs tab
The steps above create and run a simple test case. For advanced features such as branching, looping or validation, you can refer to following articles: