Record Web Utility
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Record a New Test Case
Without opening any test case, click on Web Record icon to open Web Recorder
Katalon Studio default browser is Chrome and the icon is displayed in the top right corner. You can change this default browser in Preferences → Katalon → Recorder → Default browser. You can also click on the drop-down button to select the browser you want to use:
Type Description Note New Browsers Start a new browser Supported browsers:
- Internet Explorer (only on Windows)
Active Browsers Use the current browser (only Chrome) Katalon Studio will install Katalon Recorder as an add-on to help with recording for this type of browser
- Firefox (coming soon)
In this example, select either Chrome or Firefox from 'New Browser' type to start recording.
- The browser will highlight and display its correspondent Xpath when you hover the mouse on that element.
- Recorded steps will generate in Recorded Actions.
- When you type in a Password field, Web Recorder will automatically use 'Set Encrypted Text' keyword and input's value will be encrypted to increase security.
Record Using Existing Test Case
With the new Web Recorder, users can be more productive while modifying existing test cases. Instead of creating a brand new test case whenever there are changes to the UI, risks of overlooking how new changes might effect existing features are now minimized.
- Open any existing test case to continue recording.
- Click on Record icon to open Web Recorder.
- All existing test steps will be imported as Recorded Actions and current Test Case variables will be imported into the Variables tab in Web Recorder. You won't need to record the same test flow again.
Modify Recorded Actions
Unlike previous Web Recorder's version, the list of available actions is the same with Katalon Studio built-in keywords. You can add any action, call another test case, and/or use Custom Keywords.
Modify Recorded Objects
After you finish your recording, Web Recorder will export a list of test objects used in the test case. For more information on WebUI test objects, go here.
Upon satisfactorily creating your test case, click OK to add the recorded steps to the test case. Choose the directory you want your test objects to reside to continue. Here, Katalon Studio automatically detects similar existing objects in the Objects Repository and will ask you for further action. This helps users optimize object repositories.
In the new Web Recorder interface, you can manage the variables directly related to your recording.
Execution comes with seeing execution logs and, in many cases, you only want to execute some steps. New features have been introduced to prevent having to execute all steps:
- Logs: a real-time execution raw logs when you execute test steps.
- Run (with three types of run):
- Run all steps
- Run selected steps
- Run from selected step
|Type of Run||Description|
|Run all steps||Execute ALL steps that are enabled on Web Recorder.|
|Run selected steps|
Execute only one or many selected steps.
|Run from selected step|
Execute the current selected step and all steps after selected one, e.g run step #4 and all steps after it.
Upon selecting any type of Run to execute, execution logs are displayed on Logs tab.
The steps above create and run a simple test case. For advanced features such as branching, looping or validation, you can refer to following articles: