Spy Web Utility
Estimated reading time:
Enhanced Spy Web Utility is more compact and more intelligent for capturing objects. Object properties and locating method can be specified by users. Built-in Verify and Highlight feature provide users the assurance that Katalon Studio can locate the objects. Spy Web Utility window can be pinned or unpinned for users convenience while spying.
The guide bellow will show step by step using Spy Web Utility.
Capture objects using Web Object Spy
Click on Spy Web from the main toolbar.
The Object Spy dialog will be displayed.
Click on Start to begin capturing objects from the web browser.
|New Browsers||Start a new browser and start spying web objects from that browser.||Supported browsers:|
- Internet Explorer (only on Windows)
|Active Browsers||Focus on the current active Chrome browser and start spying web objects from it.||Katalon Studio will install Katalon Recorder as an add-on to help with recording for this type of browser|
- Firefox (coming soon)
You will be asked for installation of Katalon Utility:
Refer to Katalon Addon for Chrome for more details.
Your selected browser will be launched. Navigate to your website, then hover the mouse cursor over the web object to be captured.
The web object will be highlighted with a red border. An overlay pane will also be displayed at the edge of the screen to show relevant xpath info.
Press the combination of <Alt + back quote> keys on the keyboard to capture object. The object will be highlighted in the green border.
Captured objects will appear in the Object Spy dialog.
Select the object in the Captured Objects tree, its details will be displayed in the Object Properties section.
Learn more about Selection Method.
The method which Katalon Studio will be using to detect web elements.
||Katalon Studio automatically generate an XPath combine with objects' properties.
||Katalon Studio Relative XPath. If an element cannot be consistently located using its direct attributes, Katalon Studio will identify by using its more robust neighbors.
||Users are allowed to input CSS selector manually into Object Detect Editor.
|Properties Grid ||All the captured properties of the selected object. You can edit the value of any property.
Display object locator based on selected method
For more information on WebUI test objects, click [here](/x/tQTR).
8. Click on **Save **to **Add **to** Object Repository**.
9. Check on those captured objects in the **left pane** that you would like to save into Katalon Studio.
The structure of your **Object Repository** is displayed on the **right pane**. Select the folder to add the captured objects into. Click **OK** when done.
10. The captured objects will be added to **Object Repository** accordingly.
Define additional objects manually
> The **name** of the manually added **element** is generated automatically by Katalon Studio.
1. **Add a Page element**: Web objects need a web page to hold it. Click on **New page** from toolbar to add a new Page element manually.
2. **Add a Frame element**: If new object is a nested object, a frame is needed to locate the element. Frames are web elements that usually contain many other web objects.
Click on **New frame** from toolbar to manually add a new Frame element.
3. **Add an Object element**: Click on the **New object** from the toolbar to manually add a web object. Click **Delete** to remove any unwanted element.
4. In Object Properties section, provide **Object Name **for the recently added object, choose **Selection Method** options and specify **properties** for the _New_ web object.
5. Click **Verify and Highlight **to make sure the object can be located by Katalon Studio.
If there is a web object with matched **Selector Editor **value, it will be highlighted **red** in opened browser and message **"Found X element using XPath Selector" **will be displayed.
6. Once finished, click **Save** to add object to **Object Repository** as normal.
How to get web objects XPath or CSS Locator
1. In active opened spying browser, **Right** click on target web element. Select **Inspect**
2. An element **inspector window** will be displayed on the right with highlighted line which indicates the location of the target element in the HTML DOM. **Right** click on the hightlighted line > Select **Copy** \> Choose **Copy XPath** or **Copy Selector**
3. Navigate back to _Object Spy_ window and paste into _CSS Selector Editor_ or _Object Properties Grid_.
4. Click Verify and Hightlight button to check if Katalon Studio can locate the object.
5. Once finished, click **Save** to add object to **Object Repository** as normal.
|Basic or XPath
||Katalon Studio generated XPath will be displayed.
||Editable text field allows users to manually input object's locator.
User Contributed Notes