Windows Record Tutorials
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Starting in Katalon Studio version 7.0, you can record a test on a Windows desktop application.
- To start recording a Windows action, Click the Record Windows Action icon on the main toolbar of Katalon Studio.
- The Windows Recorder dialog box is displayed. Specify the information at the CONFIGURATIONS section.
Configuration: where you can view and edit the
Application File: the absolute path to the
Windows Executable File (*.exe)of the testing machine. For Windows users, click Browse... button to locate the application file.
The Start button is enabled after the Application File text box is filled.
Click Start when you're done with the settings.
The specified Windows application is deployed and opened on a testing machine.
The Screen View dialog box is displayed to show the current screenshot of your application on the testing machine.
All the Windows objects in that screenshot are analyzed and organized in a tree at the Screen Objects section.
Click on any object in that tree and it's highlighted in the Screen View accordingly.
- Select an element, then specify an action to perform at the Possible Actions section.
- All of the specified actions above are recorded at the Recorded Actions section.
You can stop the application or start another application if needed. To reload the Screen View as well as Screen Objects, simply click on the Refresh Screen button.
When you’re done with recording, click OK to save the recorded actions in Katalon Studio.
You will be prompted to save the captured objects in the Object Repository of Katalon Studio. Choose an existing folder or create a new one, then click OK to continue.
- When you finish your recording session, export the recorded steps to a new test case.
- Recorded objects and actions are saved in the test case.
- Select the Windows icon in the Run button on the main Toolbar to execute the script.
- The Windows test is executed with those recorded steps accordingly.
- While any action is being performed on a test object, there should be no other actions taken on the application. One action at a time.
- Remember not to lock your screen while spying, recording or executing a test on a desktop application.
- You're recommended not to run multiple applications simultaneously.