Configuring Katalon Studio for Web Testing
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Katalon Studio supports functional testing of web applications on Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
This tutorial explains how to setup a test project in Katalon Studio. We assume that you are familiar with general principles of automated testing and have minimal knowledge of the Katalon Studio IDE.
Internet Explorer Configurations
Skip this section if you do not wish to run your automated tests on Internet Expolorer. Otherwise, you need the following setup:
– For IE 7 to IE 11, set the Security level for all zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites) to the same value. To access this setting, choose Internet Options from Control Panel of Windows, then switch to the Security tab:
– For IE 10 or later, uncheck Enable Enhanced Protected Mode* in the Advanced tab.
– Set the Zoom level on IE to 100% so that native mouse events can be identified correctly.
– For IE 11, you need to set a registry entry on the target computer so that the Katalon driver can maintain a connection to the IE instances that it creates.
1.Type 'regedit' into Command Prompt to open Registry Editor
2. Locate the FEATURE_BFCACHE subkey (create the FEATURE_BFCACHE subkey in case it is not there):
2.1 For 32-bit Windows, the key is at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BFCACHE.
2.2. For 64-bit Windows, the key is at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BFCACHE.
3. Inside this subkey, create a value named iexplore.exe with the Type as REG_DWORD and the Data as 0.
Katalon Addon for Chrome
Katalon Utility, a Katalon addon for Chrome, is required if capturing objects on your active Chrome browsers. You can install this Katalon addon for Chrome from here. Refer to Web Object Spy and Record & Playback for more details.
This configuration allows you to decide which port to be used for sending data between Katalon Utility and Katalon Studio.
1. Once Katalon Utility is added to Chrome, right-click on its icon at the top right of your browser and open the Options setting to specify a preferred port to communicate with Katalon Studio (default value is 50000).
2. Open preferences for Katalon Utility in Katalon Studio by accessing Window > Preferences > Katalon > Utility Addon. Enter the same port number to be used for communicating with Katalon Utility.
There may be a situation when your machine is setup within a restricted network with a policy to only allow Internet connection through a proxy server. In such a case, proxy settings can be configured from Preferences > Proxy. The settings affect both WebUI and WebService test execution. (Contact your network administrator to have necessary information for these settings).
Users may find their computers operating in a network that requires some certification in order to access the Internet.
Katalon Studio supports the capability to bypass certificate validation so that users with restricted network policies can work with Katalon Studio as usual. This setting can be found from Project > Settings > Network. This setting affects both WebUI and WebService testing.