Desired Capabilities in Katalon Studio
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
What are Desired Capabilities?
Desired Capabilities was introduced in Selenium to work with various browser capabilities such as handling browser cookies, SSL security popup, and other preferences of users.
Why Utilizing Desired Capabilities?
Through using Desired Capabilities, we can communicate with Appium server by sending a POST request. For example, a user would like to run mobile test with a preferred platform, browser, orientation of the app, etc. If the user has already set the desired capability preferences setting, Appium server will start a session with the capabilities that user has set initially.
Desired capabilities is a JSON object (having keys and values pair). Within each desired capability, there are few inbuilt capabilities. We need to set the capability name as ‘key’ and capability value as ‘value’. The capabilities keys are case-sensitive.
Setting up Desired Capabilities for Mobile
- From the ‘Project’ dropdown of Katalon Studio main toolbar, click on Settings
- In project settings, select Execution > Default > Mobile > Android
- After clicking on Android, it will display a screen with a dropdown with Device Name and Add, Delete, Clear buttons. Steps to add a property for execution are as following:
- Click Add button of command toolbar above the Desired Capabilities list.
- A new row will be added to the list.
- Provide the name of the property that you’d like to configure, do the same for Type and Value.
The example below shows the desired capabilities settings for Android to enable Unicode input.
The example below shows the desired capabilities settings for Android to enable device orientation.
The example below shows the desired capabilities settings for Android to enable screenshot path.