Configuring Katalon Studio for Mobile Testing on macOS
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Using Katalon Studio, a tester can design mobile app automation tests for both Android and iOS to run on physical devices, cloud services or emulators.
This tutorial explains how to set up a mobile app testing project for Katalon Studio on macOS. It assumes that you are familiar with automated testing.
- Install Homebrew from Terminal:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
- Install Carthage with Homebrew:
brew install carthage
- Install node and npm with Homebrew:
brew install node brew install npm
Note: To make sure Node.js is installed correctly, you run the command which node on Terminal.
- Install Appium with npm
|npm install -g appium|
- Set Appium Directory to "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium" in Katalon Preferences (from Katalon menu, go to Preferences > Katalon > Mobile)
You will need to install and configure Xcode in case of testing on iOS devices. Please set up Xcode as follows:
- Open Xcode > Preferences > Accounts: Add developer's Apple ID
- Open Terminal at WebDriverAgent in Appium directory folder:<…>/appium/node_modules/appium-xcuitest-driver/WebDriverAgent and enter following command to initialize WebDriverAgent project:
mkdir -p Resources/WebDriverAgent.bundle sh ./Scripts/bootstrap.sh -d
- Open project WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj underWebDriverAgent in Xcode.
- Select WebDriverAgentLib, and in the Signing section, check Automatically manage signing and select a team.
- Then on Xcode's menu bar, select Product > Build
Repeat the last two steps for WebDriverAgentRunner
Build WebDriverAgent to verify whether the steps above work
|xcodebuild -project WebDriverAgent.xcodeproj -scheme WebDriverAgentRunner -destination 'id=
- If the following dialog is shown, select Always Allow
- You should be able to see _Listening on USB _in the build output as below
For Android devices:
- Turn on your Android device's developer mode (go to Settings > Developer options).
- Connect the device to your computer via a USB cable. Just confirm if prompted for accepting/trusting the device.
For iOS devices:
- Connect your iOS Devices to your computer via a USB cable. Just confirm if prompted for accepting/trusting the phone.
- For iOS 8 and higher, you must enable the service UI automation on the device (connect the iOS device to Xcode) as follows:
- plug in the iOS device
- open Xcode on Mac
- go to Settings on the device > Developer > turn ON UIAutomation
- For iOS 6 and higher, on your iOS device, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced and enable Web Inspector
To test an iOS native application file (.ipa or .app file), make sure the file is already built and signed properly to deploy on the device. Follow these steps to check if an application file is already built and signed correctly:1. Open Xcode and navigate to **Window/Devices **2. Choose your device from the Devices list 3. Press the "+" button and choose your application file
4. If installed successfully, the application will appear in the Installed Apps section as shown below
You can modify extra Desired Capabilities when executing automation test in Katalon Studio.
To define Desired Capabilities for local execution using Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari or Edge, please access Project > Settings > Execution > Default > Mobile > iOS (or Android).
The example below shows Desired Capabilities settings for Android to enable Unicode inputs.