Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
A quick guide to set up and start your first automation test with Katalon Studio, a complete test automation tool, built on the top of Selenium and Appium. You now can start automation testing on web & mobile with the least efforts and no costs. Free download at www.katalon.com
Read full guideline /x/l4Ei
This Getting Started Guide gives you a quick introduction to Katalon Studio, from downloading to activation and running your first automation test.
Download Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is available for free, supporting both Windows and Mac. Visit Katalon Studio website to download the latest version.
First you need to verify if your computer meets the System Requirements of Katalon Studio.
If you do Web UI testing, then no additional settings are needed except making sure the required browsers are installed. Check this list for all supported browsers.
In case of Mobile testing, you need to install Node.js, Appium and enable USB Debugging mode on your device first. Please refer to Installation Guide for more details.
Start Katalon Studio
To start Katalon Studio, double-click on the katalon.exe (Microsoft Windows) or katalon (Mac) file in the directory where you unpack Katalon Studio.
Once started, the application should display a splash screen.
Activate Katalon Build
After launching Katalon Studio, provide your registered username and password to activate your Katalon Studio Instance. The username and password are the ones used to login to https://www.katalon.com
When your build is activated, the Quick Guide screen is displayed to guide you through all major features. You can skip this and view the Quick Guide later from the Help menu.
At the end of the introduction, Katalon Studio suggests to create a new project. Click OK.
Create a Project
Enter the name of your new project and the location to store the project data on your machine. Click OK.
A new project will be generated at specified location.
Create your first Test Case
– Select option to create New Test Case from the main Toolbar.
– Provide the name for your test case then click OK.
– A new test case will be created accordingly. The test case editor is also displayed for editing.
– You can compose the test case by recording, scripting or manually entering test steps. For now, let’s quickly generate the test script using Record feature. Click on the Record icon from the main Toolbar.
– Click Record to launch the browser. During recording, actions performed on the browser will be captured and be generated into test steps.
Note: You can specify the target browser to be launched by selecting from the Record dropdownlist.
– Let’s create a simple script by going to Google Search and lookup for some keywords as illustrated on the screen above. Click OK of Record dialog when you finish recording.
– You are prompted to confirm saving all captured objects to Katalon Studio. Click OK.
– Captured actions and objects are generated in Katalon Studio.
– Now you can click on Run command from the main Toolbar to execute the script.
Note: You can specify the target browser to run the script by selecting it in the Run dropdown list.
Congratulations! You have just successfully created and executed your first test case.